WHERE DID THE TITLE COME FROM AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The title for my blog comes from a song from my favorite musician, and friend, Willie Nile, from his 3rd album, Places I Have Never Been, released in 1991. Essentially, the song is about having an outlet to release all your inner demons, frustrations, & emotions. That, no matter who you are, & what your circumstances in life, there will come a time, when you need some relief...a point where you realize, if you don't let everything out, you may not be able to go on. You could be a rich man, a poor man, a beggar man, or a thief...a doctor, a lawyer, or an indian chief. No matter who, what, when or where, everyone will reach that point, where if they don't let off some steam, they'll explode...figuratively, of course, but explode, nonetheless. It is my hope that this blog will be my outlet...my hammer...to help me continue to smash my way though the obstacles of life. I've had more than my share of roadblocks put in my way the last few years, & I'm still here to tell the tale. Over the coming days and months ahead, I hope to be able to share with anyone who will listen, the continuing saga of my so-called life, & where I hope to be heading in the future. By sharing these details, I hope to help others avoid some of the same mistakes I made &, in the process, thank all the people that helped keep me alive...& to make the most I possibly can, out of my second chance at life... Thanks for stopping by

Thursday, April 7, 2011

CHAPTER ONE -- WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY & WHAT EXACTLY DOES HE THINK HE'S DOING?

That's a very good question and, to be absolutely honest, I have no idea what I'm doing here. I arrived here, purely by accident, with no intention of exposing my inner-most thoughts to the world...but that was in my first lifetime.I'm now on my second...awarded to me by my doctors at NYU Medical Center, & an annonymous donor from Syracuse, New York, who had to die, in order for my life to go on.

It was in early March of 2009, that my life was turned completely upside down, and was thoroughly changed forever. It started simply enough, with a bout of Pneumonia, which hit me, even though I had been given a Pneumonia shot earlier in the season. No big deal...take some anti-biotics & call me in the morning. Sure, no problem, except, that wasn't the end of it. The Pneumonia did go away, but a short time later, I contracted something called ITP, which is essentially a dangerously low red-blood count. After being treated for that, with a high dosage of a steroid, Prednisone, the Pneumonia returned, and I turned completely yellow, with an uncontagious form of Hepititis. Then my liver functions went AWOL, and approximately two weeks later, I found myself at NYU, getting a liver transplant. no real warning, no preparation...and my life as I knew it, was forever changed...

It's been almost two years now, since the unexpected transplant...I say unexpected, because I had no real warning that my liver would fail. Sure, I had a slight fatty liver from being 40-50 LBs overweight most of life, but I never drank, smoked, or did drugs, so the liver failing, was never something I ever had to worry about, or so I thought.

In the two years following the surgery, I've been doing plenty of soul-searching, as one would imagine. I knew I wanted to make my second chance at life, really mean something...not only for me, but for all the people that kept me alive...my doctors, nurses, parents, friends, and for the annonymous donor in Syracuse and his family. For all of them, it was, and is, of vital importance for me, to do better...to turn my life around, and to attempt to make a small difference in this world...More later

No comments:

Post a Comment