WHERE DID THE TITLE COME FROM AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The title for my blog comes from a song from my favorite musician, and friend, Willie Nile, from his 3rd album, Places I Have Never Been, released in 1991. Essentially, the song is about having an outlet to release all your inner demons, frustrations, & emotions. That, no matter who you are, & what your circumstances in life, there will come a time, when you need some relief...a point where you realize, if you don't let everything out, you may not be able to go on. You could be a rich man, a poor man, a beggar man, or a thief...a doctor, a lawyer, or an indian chief. No matter who, what, when or where, everyone will reach that point, where if they don't let off some steam, they'll explode...figuratively, of course, but explode, nonetheless. It is my hope that this blog will be my outlet...my hammer...to help me continue to smash my way though the obstacles of life. I've had more than my share of roadblocks put in my way the last few years, & I'm still here to tell the tale. Over the coming days and months ahead, I hope to be able to share with anyone who will listen, the continuing saga of my so-called life, & where I hope to be heading in the future. By sharing these details, I hope to help others avoid some of the same mistakes I made &, in the process, thank all the people that helped keep me alive...& to make the most I possibly can, out of my second chance at life... Thanks for stopping by

Sunday, April 17, 2011

CHAPTER FOUR -- DOING A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR ME

Acknowledging the transplant unit staff, and attempting to give a little something back, by volunteering and donating some money to the American Liver Foundation, continues to be of the utmost importance to me, but, in order to do more for others, it was necessary to begin doing more for myself...

I actually began the process from my ICU hospital bed, by reaching out and calling a few friends I had lost touch with, for one reason or another. I hate losing touch with people, and especially for no reason other than sheer neglect. Yes, I know it's part of life, but it's a part I can do without and, after my near-death experience, it was more important now, than ever, that I keep in touch with all my old friends. Life is just too short to let people just slip away from you and out of your life, so I made a few calls, and it was one of the smartest, and best things I have ever done. So, if you've lost touch with someone, by either neglect, or maybe because of a stupid trivial argument that seemed so important at the time, pick up the phone, write a letter, send an email or a text message, send them a tweet, or poke them on Facebook...whatever you have to do to re-connect with that special someone in your life, just do it, You'll be glad you did.

Making those initial calls to re-establish lost ties, was a fantastic start, & I will always remember those first re-connection conversations as I laid there in the ICU bed, unable to move, but I had other, more grandiose, goals in mind. I wanted to reach out on a larger scale, and wondered what became of my childhood friends...people I would hang out with every day...people I played basketball with, people I played stickball with, people I went to baseball games & concerts with, and all those people I went to various schools with. Whatever happened to them, and how had their lives turned out. It was now something I wanted, and needed, to know. Sure, I was still friends with some of them, but I needed to learn about some of the others...and what better way to do that, than by turning to Facebook.

For some reason, I had always avoided Facebook but, following my transplant, as I began to regain some strength, Facebook seemed the best way for me to reach out to people from my past, and to establish connections with all the new people in my life that had made an impact on my life, in one way or another....MORE LATER

No comments:

Post a Comment