WHERE DID THE TITLE COME FROM AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The title for my blog comes from a song from my favorite musician, and friend, Willie Nile, from his 3rd album, Places I Have Never Been, released in 1991. Essentially, the song is about having an outlet to release all your inner demons, frustrations, & emotions. That, no matter who you are, & what your circumstances in life, there will come a time, when you need some relief...a point where you realize, if you don't let everything out, you may not be able to go on. You could be a rich man, a poor man, a beggar man, or a thief...a doctor, a lawyer, or an indian chief. No matter who, what, when or where, everyone will reach that point, where if they don't let off some steam, they'll explode...figuratively, of course, but explode, nonetheless. It is my hope that this blog will be my outlet...my hammer...to help me continue to smash my way though the obstacles of life. I've had more than my share of roadblocks put in my way the last few years, & I'm still here to tell the tale. Over the coming days and months ahead, I hope to be able to share with anyone who will listen, the continuing saga of my so-called life, & where I hope to be heading in the future. By sharing these details, I hope to help others avoid some of the same mistakes I made &, in the process, thank all the people that helped keep me alive...& to make the most I possibly can, out of my second chance at life... Thanks for stopping by

Thursday, April 7, 2011

CHAPTER TWO -- MAKING A DIFFERENCE...OR AN ATTEMPT TO

Wanting to make a difference...and knowing how to go about doing it, are two vastly different things. When first released from the hospital, I was unable to walk without the aid of a walker, and motivating myself, was difficult enough, without having to think about attempting to help others. But helping others, and giving something back for all the help I had received, was, and is, of tremendous importance to me. I just had no idea of where, or how to start.

Looking back at my time in the hospital, I think I actually started giving something back, by writing a long letter of love and appreciation, to the 14 West transplant unit staff, for all their devotion and hard work, during my rehabilitation process. If it wasn't for the incredible dedication & diligence of the nurses and nurses aides as a unit, I certainly would not be here today, & you would be reading someone else's ramblings, other than mine...Day after day, I was consistently picked up off the floor, both physically and mentally...finding myself laughing one minute, and uncontrollably crying the next. While I couldn't explain the mood swings, I attributed them to the high doses of steroids I was taking, along with all the new medications I found myself on. No matter what my condition or mood, someone from the transplant staff was always there to lend a hand, or just to listen to whatever I  had on my mind. Their help and guidance continues to inspire me even today, two years later. How can you thank someone for that? Again, I had no idea, but I decided to start with a letter, and, since then, I have repeatedly sent cards and gift baskets to the staff as a reminder of thanks for all they have done for me. So for John, Naomi, Christina, Karen, Sara, Amy, Diane, Gary, Michael, Dorothy, Lindsay, and the rest, I want to thank you again from the bottom of my heart for all you did for me...It will never, ever, be forgotten...TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment